Old August 14th 04, 10:57 PM
robert arndt

What about the Drivers vision slot like at
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWtiger.htm ?

That is a very poor web site.

Just about all WWII tanks had bullet-proof glass in vision slits. In ' Armor
Battles Of The Waffen-SS' an account refers to glass having to be changed
due to numerous bullet hits rendering it opaque.

Spielberger's book 'Tiger' which has a good photo of the driver's position.
The glass is a solid block, bullet-proof and looks to be at least 2cm
thick.It is clamped into an internal frame for ease of changing if damaged.
That's the tiger I. The tiger II had an episcope/periscope.

Trying to take out a Tiger I with a .45 was pure, grade 'A' Hollywood BS.

This site notes the inaccuracies of SPR in regard to the Tiger I scenes:
http://www.sproe.com/t/tiger-tank.html

Rob