Old July 9th 03, 12:03 AM
John Galban

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..

Bob, when I went out to Chandler AZ for spin training a couple years
ago (see www.danford.net/chandler.htm) I asked to do it in a Super
Cub, since that was closest to what I usually fly. I was told that
they didn't intentionally spin the PA-18 or the Husky because of the
gyros, and that I could only take the training in a Great Lakes.

That may be true given the volume of spin training that Chandler Air
Service does. Chances are good that one of their airplanes is
spinning most any time of the day.

I've also heard the warnings about spinning and gyros and I can
report that I have been spinning my plane on a regular basis for the
last 10 yrs. with no ill effect on the gyros. I probably average 5 -
10 spins per month. All three gyros have been in the plane since I
bought it and have never been overhauled. The AI usually tumbles in
the spin entry right around 90 degrees. According to some, they
should have rolled over dead on the 4th or 5th spin. Maybe I have
"Gyros of Steel", but that's been my experience.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)