Old August 6th 13, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Compare MRX with PF Portable

Now that my PowerFlarm PCAS performs as well or better than my Zaon (thanks to the latest firmware and the shorter antenna)

Just last weekend I flew another side by side comparison between the ZAON MRX and my Power FLARM portable.

For about half of the flight the Power FLARM indicated a spurious warning of my own mode C transponder. (Yes, I do have it configured so it knows I have a transponder)

I am using the antennas supplied with the portable but have them extended away from the unit with about 12 inches of RG58U. That allows me to get everything on the glareshield of my PA28.

As I reported earlier, the detection range of the PFP is much improved with the latest firmware update. Hovever, the spurious alerting of ownship tranponder is a signicant issue as this alert will take priority over any other transponder targets. I don't know if it also inhibits FLARM and ADS-B warnings.

My MRX won't be for sale for a while yet.

Andy