Old August 30th 09, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Allen

Default I am Interested in Soaring Instruction (US Private PilotCertification)

I do not hold any FAA ratings and I am considering instruction to
obtain a Private Pilot Glider certification, so gliders will be my
introduction to aviation. I live in the Los Angeles area and have a
few concerns:

1. Safety -

a) After reviewing the NTSA accident database, it seems that most
of the fatal accidents are related to stalls during a launch abort
(the reports don't say stall explicitly) and medical distress. So it
seems that pilots attempt to turn back for a landing with insufficient
air speed, rather than land forward.

b) The congested airspace of the L.A. area means that mid-air
collisions are a reality, but I don't read about radio or transponder
usage in gliders (at least equipment descriptions on club/instructor
websites). See and avoidance of gliders by high velocity aircraft
pilots doesn't seem to be a realistic expectation.

2. Instruction - I am wondering if starting by taking 5 days of
intensive training at an out-of-state glider school followed by bi-
weekly club instruction at a local club is a good approach to just bi-
weekly instruction.

3. Local Glider Ports - Unfortunately, an airfield in the Los Angeles
area (Hemet-Ryan) is due to terminate glider usage in October. That
leaves Lake Elsinore as the closest glider port. But the loss will be
in instruction alternatives, since all glider clubs and schools at
Hemet-Ryan will need to re-organize and find a new facilty.

4. Flexibility of Instruction - A normal course of instruction is a
given, however I may want to instruction in a specific area or event
in addition to the usual course, such as stall recovery from an under-
banked, over-ruddered slow speed turn, which may not be covered by the
instructor.

5. Fun - With all of the safety instruction, study material,
situational awareness, airspace scanning, etc., there must be some
enjoyment of the sport and I believe there is, otherwise I would not
give it any consideration.

Any feedback will be appreciated.