Old October 2nd 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
J.Kahn

Default misdrilled hole on on tubular aluminum spar question

Rich S. wrote:
"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
Am I missing something here? Is this a low wing or a high wing?

Rich "Mid Wing" S.

Well, I am assuming it's a high wing strut braced ultralight where the
tubular spar forms the leading edge, with the strut attachment at around
60% of span, or else a Kolb deal where the tubular spar is at the more
typical spar location.

Interestingly the DeHavilland Canada Twin Otter has its lift strut only
at about 1/3 span, so it could be said to be more of a "semi-cantilever"
wing. The loads on the root fittings are strongly downward and inward.

John