Old July 17th 03, 03:29 PM
C J Campbell

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message

| Besides, all current proposed GPS approaches will have minimums higher
than
| standard 200 - 1/2 ILS minimums -- it is unclear if WAAS GPS will EVER be
| able to go down to 200 - 1/2 although it may come close, like perhaps
350 -
| 3/4. Do you really think current airports with ILS approaches will react
| calmly to decommissioning their ILS systems to they get higher minimums on
| their new GPS precision approaches?

The original announcement says that approach minimums will be as low as 250
if the airport can certify that it is clear of obstructions and has the
required approach lighting. An airport that already has an ILS should meet
those requirements. Ultimately, WAAS is supposed to give much lower minimums
than that.

I think it will take far less than 10-20 years to convince most of the
knee-jerk "Itcan'tbedone.Itwon'twork" crowd. The troglodytes usually come
crawling out of their caves when they find their anti-innovation attitude is
costing them business. Then again, a significant part of the population
still believes that we should not be flying in the first place.