Old January 13th 13, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Default Hang Gliding Record Distance Flight Story

On Jan 12, 2:51*pm, John Carlyle wrote:
Very good read about Dustin Martin beating Jonny Durand during a 475 mile hang gliding world distance record, with Gary Osoba providing the day's forecast.http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/sp...y-the-silent-r...

-John, Q3

It was a rainy day in Durango, CO, where I was, and I happened to be
reading the RAS when a note was posted that Dustin and Johnny were on
the epic flight and could be watched on SPOT. I immediately clicked
on and was spellbound for the rest of the aftgernoon. Thankfully, no
lightning, so I could leave the computer on. It was a very exciting
afternoon for me, watching their progress, and Dustin's final glide
that was absolutely parallel to the wind (I was flipping back and
forth from the SPOT page to the wind page http://hint.fm/wind/ to
see how they were progressing). 25 years earlier, to the day, Hans
and I had a similar day, landing in Cortez, CO for 218 miles on our
Wills Wings from Mt. Elden in Flagstaff, AZ. Watching another Arizona
Hang Gliding Association (now also includes paragliding) pilot set the
world record was the highlight of my summer. It couldn't have
happened to a nicer guy / more incredible pilot. Atta boy, Dustin!
And, a VERY nice article for a non-gliding publication. Well done.
And, it brought back a lot of fond memories for me.
Bob
19