Old January 21st 04, 01:54 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Chris,

Climbing from a normal release in thermal and transitioning to wave is
a challenging and a very satisfying accomplishment. While it's
something we do in the east with some regularity, we just as regularly
fail to make the transition. It is frustrating to hear a couple of
your buddies climbing in the wave while you are stuck several hundred
feet shy of the height you need to get upwind into the bottom of the
stable layer. But the work makes the achievement that much more
enjoyable.

I was on a ridge mission out of Ridge Soaring one morning. While
passing Tyron, PA, the ridge lift strengthened dramatically. Cloud
base was low (3000 msl) and I found myself pushing into the valley to
keep from getting sucked into the cloud. As I reached its edge, I
transitioned into the bottom of the wave and increased my climb rate
to over 10 knots. I went from moderate turbulence on the ridge at 2000
msl to 12000 msl in less than 10 minutes, without changing my heading
more than 30 degrees. No skill involved. But very enjoyable
nonetheless. The face of the wave cloud that day was 6000 feet high
and nearly vertical. The wave window was only a mile wide, with an
equally impressive cap clound upwind. A real treat.