Old April 6th 05, 05:12 PM
Ken Duffey

Brian Sharrock wrote:
"David E. Powell" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken

What did they call the Royal Navy's Harrier Carriers? I thought it was
V/STOL. (Vertical or Short Take Off and Landing.)

IIRC,'they' called them 'Invincible'(R05), 'Illustrious'(R06)
and 'Ark Royal'(R07).
Actually, they've been utilised for STO and VL evolutions of
the embarked Harriers; that is Short (Rolling) Take-off (that's
the purpose of the 'ski-jump') while Verical Landings are most
expeditious for the pilots and maintainers/armourers.
The Harriers, of various Mk's, from FRS1 to GR7, are VSTOL
while I believe the ships themselves are classified by the Navy
as 'CVS.

Wasn't it John Farley? who said it is better to stop and then land than
it is to land and then stop !!

Ken