Old February 8th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
chuck

Default Building a fiberglass fuel tank and using aluminum fittings?

Many years ago (about 40), I made a tank for my smith mini by cutting blocks
of white Styrofoam
into the desired shape,sticking a VW gas cap and nozzle into the top and
sticking the fittings for
the outlet in the bottom. Then I covered the whole thing with fiberglass
matt and epoxy resin.
After curing, I just took off the gas cap and poured acetone into the
opening. I had to pour slowly
to allow it to work (dissolve the Styrofoam). After pouring all the sludge
out and allowing time for
the remainder to harden, I mixed up some sloshing compound and sloshed the
tank. As a final
task I covered it all with fiberglass bi-directional cloth and epoxy resin.
Was still working fine last I heard.
Chuck

wrote in message
ps.com...
Can someone point me on how to build a fiberglass fuel tank and use
aluminum fittings?

Thanks
Bill