Old October 23rd 03, 11:25 PM
Bob Martin

And today I read in a website as a builder fumed and groused over the
asymmetry in his RV kit.

Which brings me to the present subject of rebuilding two Cessna flaps. I
clecoed the trailing edge of one of the flaps together last night after
having drilled and deburred (whew!) all the new holes with the flaps in

the
jig built here in the shop. All I could say was "Yuck. Pitiful." The
trailing edges looked like an attempt at a straight line by a drunk when I
sighted down them. Take note that I clecoed them together AFTER they were
out of the jig. Of course the jig, made of straight-and-true aluminum

angle
gently but firmly squeezing both sides of the flap near the trailing edge,
will make it true when it is riveted together. Theoretically. And so I

am
promised.

The trailing edges of all control surfaces on RV's are bent, not riveted.
On ailerons, elevators, and rudder, the skin is one large V-shaped panel, to
which you attach a spar, end ribs, and some stiffeners, and then bend the
front around to a rounded shape and pop-rivet it. The flaps work a bit
differently; they are two-piece skins but the trailing edge wraps around
and the seam is on the bottom of the flap, about 2/3 of the chord from the
front.

We had one slightly warped aileron, which we tried to straighten by twisting
it--- but the trailing edge buckled and we built a new (straight) one.

On a different note, the ailerons on our RV-6 are slightly out of trim--the
starboard one is deflected about a quarter to half an inch down from the
flap/wingtip. Port side is about a quarter inch up. I thought maybe the
flaps were rigged wrong, but that didn't fix things.