Old January 20th 18, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Looping a standard cirrus

At 02:10 20 January 2018, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west
Texas wrote:
On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 3:42:20 AM UTC-6, Dave Nadler

wrote:
On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 1:57:46 PM UTC+13,

wro=
te:
Who has done a loop in a standard cirrus?

=20
Accidentally or intentionally?
If you don't know what I'm talking about, you should...

What Dave says . . .=20
The smoothest soaring pilot I ever flew with was Johnny Byrd

(R.I.P),
multi=
ple time champion and member of our US World Team. He

described to me
abou=
t flying in very rough air when his Standard Cirrus sailplane pitched

up
ve=
rtical, so he pulled it around into a loop. He figured that was the

best
o=
ption to avoid a falling "tail slide" which might break the sailplane.

It
=
possibly pitched up so suddenly due the all-flying horizontal

tailplane.
I=
do not believe that he ever looped any other aircraft except for

that
"acc=
idental" loop. =20

Johnny Byrd was cool cat. Quiet demeanor and always helpful. I

learned a
=
lot from his sharing of his knowledge and I miss him so . . .=20

Burt
Marfa, TX

I miss 30 a lot as well... He was my team-mate....

RO