Old February 24th 14, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Results*of*Flight*Performance*Determination*o f*the*Lak‐17a*FES

On Monday, February 24, 2014 12:04:10 PM UTC-6, Sean F (F2) wrote:
My initial goal was to press home that the FES system (blades, etc) has a significant impact in aerodynamic performance (drag) over the exact same glider without FES I think that it is now clear that a credible study has shown FES performance degradation that is both measurable and significant. I'm not sure why I should have to fill out a form for action to happen? While there may only be 2 Lak17b FES in the US at current, there are also others in Canada. A re-factored handicap may encourage a few more! Can someone from the handicap committee do the "rough math" (assume 2-4% drag) on the Lak17bFES handicap with a 75 lbs increase weight. Does that result in a handicap? What is the equation or equation set used to create a handicap? Or is it a subjective process? Thanks, Sean

How about if you please relax, take a deep breath, and allow more than three hours between the posting of a link to performance data and publication of a revised handicap number? The drag difference has been presented. There is a standard method applied to correct for weights above initial handicap weight. It is in the rules. Please permit enough time to elpase so that those on the handicap committee at least have a chance to be informed of the data, review it, and provide some sort of comment to the competition committee relative to a change in handicap for this plane, if they believe one is needed.