Old October 26th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Default FLARM.....for good, or evil??

On Oct 26, 10:07*am, Mark Dickson wrote:
When in a large gaggle Flarm is next to useless, more of a distraction;
that's why it has a 5 minute mute function. *In the big gaggle ignore
Flarm and keep your eyes scanning outside. *

I have heard other say this, but that's not been my experience. My
eyes don't see behind or below my glider, no matter how hard I look. I
found flarm useful precisely in the huge mothers of all gaggles at
Szeged. Sure, there's a little extra beeping but the really insistent
BEEP BEEP BEEP with three lit up LEDs only happens when you really
need to know about it, even in a big gaggle. And I also found very
little head-in-cockpit distraction with flarm. I looked outside all
the time, when huge beeps came about 1/10 second to glance at the LEDs
for the direction of the threat, then back out.

John Cochrane