Old September 9th 04, 02:52 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: Which Military Service is best?
From: "Dave Kearton"
Date: 9/8/2004 5:26 PM Pacific Standard Time
"ArtKramr" wrote in message
| Subject: Which Military Service is best?

| Conditions permitting I got a good many hours of stick time in the B-26,
C-47,
| C-46 and a Feisler Storch we had captured and used as a pufdl;e jumper
around
| Schleissheim. Lotta fun. But doing a final in the B-26 at 110 IAS at a
steep
| approach angle to the runway could curl your hair.
|
| I suppose gazing down through the rubber eyepiece of the Norden at an
| approaching bridge would be somewhat less fun, and with quite a bit more
| pucker.
|
| Especially when the view of the bridge is paritally obscured by big black
| bursts of flak with hot red centers. (sheesh)
|

| Arthur Kramer
| 344th BG 494th BS

Was the Storch still during wartime Art ?

If so, was there any trepidation in flying around a war zone in a German
aircraft, even after a new paintjob and new licence plates ?

One would imagine if it were possible to identify the aircraft, it would
still be light enough to see the Star and Bars and the pilot waving at the
Mustangs - or the ground gunners.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

The war had ended and we (the 344th) was assigned to Occupation duty. We moved
into an ex Luftwaffe airbase at Schleissheim (bei Munchen) Germany and that was
where uncovered the remains of the Storch.amid a load of wrecked JU -88's. We
fixed it up and flew it as a puddle jumper mostly to the supply dump at Erding
for small parts. But it was fun to fly.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at: