Old April 23rd 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Aluminum welding

John Kimmel wrote:
Ernest Christley wrote:

I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and try my hand at gas welding
aluminum. I have the TinMan's video. I have the flux. And I have
lots of experience welding...steel.

The one question I have is cleaning the flux. The video has the
TinMan welding and then cleaning coupons with a damp rag. But how
would you clean the inside of a closed fuel tank?

By not making it a closed fuel tank. Put in an access panel.

That is so obvious, there is no way it could be right. 8*)

The construction method I was considering was to make sides with rounded
edges, so that they cupped in like the bottom of a Coke can. There
would be a convenient flange to weld, but it would leave a sharp crevice
on the inside for flux to hide in. Having never done it, I'm not sure
if I'm being overly concerned about a nit, or if overlooking it would
have catastrophic results.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make