Old June 18th 18, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default 5th year of living dangerously with LiFePo4 batteries

On Monday, 18 June 2018 03:37:20 UTC+3, JS wrote:
On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 12:18:53 PM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
Latest info is that due to this battery fire glider manufacturer (Binder) no longer approves or installs lifepo batteries on their gliders. Not sure if AD is in the works.

Any chance of learning what make and model of battery was in the EB28, so others flying with those particular batteries can be aware?
Jim
It's 7 years for me, Jon.

I don't have that info, but it is probable that battery cells were ok and fire was caused by BMS circuit board. I have opened Aeroakku.com lifepo (sort of respected german seller that markets their products for aviation use). It contained chinese BMS circuit made of cheapest parts. Reason I opened it was that BMS electronics failed totally after 1,5 years use. It is very difficult to know what you get when purchasing lifepo batteries.