Old October 25th 05, 12:38 AM
Guest

Default [Gord Beaman] 1980s: Technician goes joyriding in A-4 Skyhawk.

The LCpl to whom you are referring and asking about was LCpl Foote.
LCpl Foote was an Avi tech and was also an accomplished private pilot
and High Altitude glider pilot. LCpl Foote was disqualified from
flight training for more then just the embolism issue. LCpl Foote
worked night crew and decided to prove to the Marine Corps (as if the
Marine Corps was one single person) that he could indeed fly and that
any other physical issues were non-factors.

Foote took the A4 Skyhawk (Scooter) from the flight line at MCAS El
Toro (I forget the particular squadron) and was on his way to March
AFB. In route the acft lost elect power and Foote was forced to deploy
the acfts RAT or air driven generator. Foote returned to MCAS El Toro.
Foote had to circle the air station until the MPs were able to have
the airfield light turned on so that Foote could land.

At the time I was in training for a back seat license and was promptly
removed from further training. I had several hours of flight time in
the A4 then and it was going to be a Golden Op, but thanks to Mr. Foote
I never got that opportunity.

Some 20 years later I’m still here active duty in the Marines. I
have gotten stick time in most of our aircraft but never ballsie enough
to take one for a joy ride. Yes a private pilot but in today’s
climate one would find themselves a flaming ball of fire after said
acft was take. Funny how times change.

Master Sergeant of Marines