Old May 21st 11, 08:32 PM
TD Hkg TD Hkg is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseumTech View Post
I was wondering if there were any retired Naval Aviators who have
flight hours logged with the dreaded F7U Cutlass. I work at the
National Museum of Naval Aviation here in Pensacola. We currently have
one on display. Aesthetically speaking, it's a pretty nice looking
plane, but I have read a lot of negative things about it. Were the
flaws merely due to the low performance of the Westinghouse engine?
Were there other flaws? I would love to hear any stories from people
who flew this plane.
Thank you and Happy Holidays
A group of F7Us landed at NAHA Air force base to use NAF for refueling. The Air Force want to test it F86D against the F7U. The test was preformed by lining up one F86D and one F7U together at take off end of the runway. They both would leave with a signal from the tower.

Results: On the signal the left together. After a short distance the F7U fired it afterburner and left the runway surface. The F86D was left behind struggling to get enough air speed to lift off.

We were later told the F7U was a good aircraft carrier plane because one missed the a trap and hit the catch barrier. The plane was not fully stopped because the noise gear collapsed and the barrier did not bring the plan to a safe stop.

I am 76 year old. I was 18 in 1955 when the F7Us came to us. Everyone want to see the planes. I took pictures and I believe my grandson may now have them.