Old February 14th 04, 07:54 AM
Scott Moore

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message online.com...
On the Bendex/King gear on which I learned, it was easy to skip to another
way point on the flight plan. And this was very convenient, as it comes up
fairly often when IFR, at least for me. For example, I'll very often be
told "direct SBJ" when leaving CDW, only get "direct ..." to the next
waypoint well before I reach SBJ.

All I needed to do was select "direct to", and I could then "knob" my way
through the waypoints on the flight plan. Pressing either "enter" or
"direct to" (I forget which; it's been a way) would have me direct to the
proper waypoint within the flight plan.

On the Garmin with which I fly now, though, I've only found a more
cumbersome way: Select the flight plan button to view the plan, cursor on,
knob to the proper entry, and then press "enter".

This is more work, and more head-down time. I was able to work the B/K gear
w/o looking if I was merely skipping to the next waypoint (press, turn one
click, press). I cannot do that with the Garmin as I need to cycle through
the flight plan once the cursor is on.

But...I vague remember learning a better way to do this with the Garmin.
Does anyone happen to know what it is?

Thanks...

Andrew

I cannot recommend enough the Garmin video for the unit. They really had some
nice hints that cover how to do things the quick way in it.