Old February 15th 04, 06:33 AM
Julian Scarfe

If you go direct, direct, enter it will activate the next leg rather
than direct.to

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...

So I skip to the next waypoint with "direct", "direct", "enter"? And this
will give me the DTK etc. from my current position to that waypoint?

Doesn't work on the sim. Of course it may be that my copy of the sim is
dated.

"direct", "direct", "enter" activates the *current* leg of the FPL. It
doesn't skip a leg.
"direct", "direct", "enter" and "direct", "enter", "enter" will toggle
between direct nav to the current waypoint and the active leg to the current
waypoint. Neither appears to change the current waypoint.

So...

Let's assume that the flight plan currently in the GPS is SBJ LANNA BOPLY
ETX ABE. The active waypoint - that to which we're currently flying - is
SBJ. ATC clears me direct to LANNA.

Would "direct" "direct" "enter" change the waypoint to LANNA? Or would it
leave it as SBJ? Or would it do something different?

"direct", "direct" offers to activate the leg from [wherever] to SBJ, not
LANNA.

The method shown in the manual for doing what you want is:

1 "direct"
2 rotate large knob to FPL field (usually three clicks clock)
3 rotate small knob to desired point (two clicks clock for the one beyond
current),
4 "enter"

So there is, apparently, one more step on the Garmin than on the B/K. It
would make more sense IMHO if the "select direct-to waypoint" page defaulted
to highlighting the FPL field and omitting step 2.

It's not much shorter than:

FPL
press for cursor
rotate large knob to desired point (two clicks clock for the one beyond
current),
"direct"
"enter"
"enter"