Old February 15th 04, 06:42 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:12:07 GMT, "John R. Copeland"
wrote:

I wrestled with that "value" issue, too, Ron.
I decided the value to *me* counted more than the value to the next owner.
I've owned this airplane for twenty years, and I'll keep it for a long time yet.
My new avionics freed up a huge amount of panel space,
and gained me back nearly 30 kg of useful load (63.5 pounds).

I retained my KR87 ADF, too, because it still works well,
and it drives the existing RMI pointer in my flight director.

The CNX80 is a great box, and I salivate when I think about
the coming software version 2.
---JRC---

Well, I would have had to spend a lot more in order to free up enough space
for the MX20. And I drew the "value" line at the CNX80. I'm not sure how
long I'll keep this airplane. I sure would like to get one that's about 40
kts faster, and also has deice capability (TKS). But SWMBO says we need to
have a LOT more money in the bank before I can consider it. So the value
to me of the CNX80 was about all I could justify.

I only gained about 15 lbs useful load. And about seven or eight of that
was in excess wire & cable that the installer removed. Most of that excess
wire and cable was not even in use! It had just been left in place during
previous upgrades!

I will certainly get version 2. But I don't think I'll "salivate"
until/unless we get a LPV approach here at KEPM.