Old January 28th 15, 07:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default ASG-29E vs. JS-1Jet Sustainer

If the new 29e has an electric start that would be worth a few extra points.. Have not heard of that either. You clearly are thinking new now?

Great points about climb limitations out west. I have heard that about many sustainers out west. Obviously, the jet would have a tremendous advantage there.

The Hph jet is pretty darn impressive glider and is far also less expensive than the JS1. Their jet has been around for much longer. Hph doesn't get a fair share of interest in the US (worse than the JS-1). The performance and quality is outstanding from what have read.

The Lak17b FES is also very, very impressive. Not sure how FES performs out west but it is likely far better than a rotax sustainer. Nothing on the market beats FES in price/performance and practicality. Well, perhaps the jet does if you can afford it and if your looking to fly out west often.

If only the Handicap committee would give FES a reasonably fair handicap! Right now it actually rates HIGHER than pure (LOL) due to higher gross weight. If you don't care primarily about contest results, the 17b FES is the glider I would buy. To be clear I say that referring to FES drag impact and handicap issues, not pure glider performance. You would save some dough it has 21 meter wings as well. Such a bummer that they have never really bothered to prove the performance of their designs. A few very competitive pilots have gliders coming. That will be interesting to watch.

I'm going to place a wager. Gerry is going to order a JS-1! Anyone have $20 bucks they want to lose?

:-)