View Single Post
Old February 2nd 18, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default New pilot looking for glider to purchase.

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 10:33:41 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Libelle, Std. Cirrus, Open Cirrus, ASW-15, Standard Jantar 2 or 3.theyre all good ships. Just know you get what you pay for and like Frank said, perform a new weight and balance during a pre-buy inspection and thoroughly scrutinize the aircraft's log books for work you that's been done to the glider. When it comes to buying a glider do what Warren Buffett says investors should do... wait for the right pitch before take your new bird home. Best of luck to you and welcome to this fantastic sport we call Soaring.

- Chris Schrader

Good morning Chris,

I'd be curious about the 337, but he's close enough to the Libelle that has relatively low hours for it's age that I'd recommend checking it out. Needs to check the joy stick for cracking also. Colin Shea had to replace his last year to get in the air. If the glider and trailer are four stars and he fits, could be a good deal. Resale after a few years is also worth considering. Plus enough wiggle room in his budget to update what's necessary, possibly the plumbing, panel, and tow hooks.

Even if he doesn't go for this one, looking over a few is a good experience in itself. Since he's a neophyte, it's good to know what to look for, thus an experienced set of eyeballs with some experience in buying and selling gliders is very valuable even before finding someone who'll do a pre-buy.

If he can't find someone at Central California at Avenal, there's a depth of experience at Lake Elsinore and Cypress Soaring.

Just my $.02

Frank Whiteley
970-330-2050 7am-10pm MST.