Old May 25th 18, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Tape the pitot/static system during storage?

I made a Pitot cover for my LS6 (fin pitot) with a length of rubber tubing (medical type) that has some yaw string yarn inserted in it, and red tape wrapped around it to make it nice and visible. It is easy to slip over the pitot tube, and any critter would have to go a long way past the yarn to get to the tube.

No critters so far (had them in the past; went to the Grand Canyon once from Turf without any ASI or nav computer - but it was too good a day to pass up!)

OT, but when I leave my glider rigged in our hangar with the TE probe in, I slip on one of those red REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT banners that have a grommet at the end - which fits perfectly on my Ilec TE probe. Easy to see and helps prevent someone hitting the probe in a dark hangar and damaging the in-fin connector. Another reason for TE probes to point UP ;^)

Kirk
66