Old November 22nd 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default Mid-air collision

On 2007-11-21 21:10:09 -0800, "Morgans" said:

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

A bit more than that...some wrinkled skin on the belly, and one account
said the
plane is sitting a little cockeyed on the ground.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ecrash21m.html

Happened right on one of my usual sightseeing routes. Makes you think....

Yeah, I'll bet! Keep those peepers open and looking around, huh?

One thing I have been wondering, is what caused the guy with so little
damage come down out of the sky? It seems like he should have continued to
land at the airport, too.

Am I missing something?

Maybe not, but the Citabria was missing its vertical stabilizer. :-)

The water there was 44 degrees and the 70 year old woman does not swim,
so they were very lucky indeed. The boaters who rescued them got them
out of their wet clothes and wrapped in dry towels immediately, which
probably saved their lives.

As Ron noted, this area is a funnel for east-west traffic. Really, it
is a narrow corridor only a few miles across between McChord's class D,
Tacoma Narrows' class D, and SeaTac and Boeing Field's airspace. The
effect is as if the FAA erected a 40 mile long 10,000 foot high wall
and left this tiny hole through it. They will blame the pilots for
failing to see and avoid, of course, but that will be like some highway
department suddenly narrowing a 16 lane freeway to a single lane and
then blaming all the accidents and congestion on "bad drivers." Come to
think of it, Washington State's DOT is like that...

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor