Old April 10th 04, 05:16 PM
Boomer

VERY interesting stuff guys thanks :-)
was wondering this: F-15 has nacelles that physically move externally,
whereas F-14 is fixxed externally yet they have somewhat similar performance
in the upper right of the envelope. How does the F-14 deal with reducing ram
drag ? It appears the F-15 can simly move it's nacelles down to restrict air
flow. I know F-14 has shock ramps inside to deal with the shock wave, but
what does it do about ram?

--

Curiosity killed the cat, and I'm gonna find out why!
"SteveM8597" wrote in message
The pronounced effect of an inlet system that fails to
articulate is quite amazing. While I have never had an inlet system fail
during functional check flights in the F-111, a couple of my colleagues

have.

In one case, the central air data computer Mach signal failed to reach

both
inlets. Their F-111F barely attained Mach 1.7 in Maximum Afterburner.

The F
model had the largest engines in the fleet, and could attain Mach 1.1 in
Military power on the deck, and Mach 2.5 in less than Maximum Afterburner

at
altitude. They brought the jet back, maintenance repaired the problem,

and
they flew it again the next day. They hit Mach 2.5 without breaking a

sweet.

I haven't heard only one inlet not articulating, however, I would imagine
that
the first clue would be the pilot adding rudder into the "good" engine as

the
Mach increased.

The other factors, such as flow smoothing and resistance to angle of

attack
excusions, do not require a variable geometry configuration. A well

designed
fixed geometry inlet can accomplish these objectives.

Kurt Todoroff

Once in a while the variable inlet bellmouth rings on the F-4 at the
engine/inlet duct interface would fail to move at M 2.0+. The rings

rotated
about 90 degrees or so as the ramps closed down to dump excess air at high
speed but didn't get that much use. Corrosion would cause the cable and

pulley
system to corrode and not move freely.. When that happened the engine was

very
stall susceptible. I had one happen when flying a Funcfional Check

Flight.
Interesting experoence to compressor stall at M 2.3. Even with the

centerline
thrust F-4 the bang and yaw pretty violent.

During early flight testingof the the F-16 with the F-110 engine in 85,

we
had a test bird with the large inlet, IIRC, that the pilots called Thumper
because of banging in the inlet due to airflow. The engine was pretty

stall
resistant with the electonic control but the pilots said the banging was

enough
to bounce their feet off the rudder pedals.Apparently at some speeds and
configurations in this particilar aircraft, the shockwave would draw back

into
the inlet. The banging was due to oilcanning of the sheetmetal from the
pressure drop across the shockwave as shown by additional instrumentation

and
high speed photography.