Old July 3rd 03, 03:31 AM
funnyman

"Bruce A. Frank" wrote in message ...
Del,

Was the rod you used copper plated? Did you remove it, the copper,
before using the rod? (polish it with Scotch Brite) I ask because almost
everyone with whom I have spoken finds the -6 produces a nicer bead and
much quieter molten puddle (than -2) when TIG welding (fewer sparks
flying contaminating the tungsten).

I never remove the copper. Sounds like your friends aren't cleaning
the base metal very well. Since ER70S-6 has more deoxidizers it will
weld better on unclean metal. Most of the time with ER70S-2 on clean
4130 you will never see sparks or contaminates coming off. As with
any welding it will always be better to start with cleaning the metal.
Once you have clean metal 70S-2 will make a much nicer bead than
70S-6. With dirty metal 70S-6 will have a nicer bead than 70S-2.