Old September 12th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

Default G1000 vs Steam guages initial thoughts...

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
oups.com:

Judah wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
oups.com:
Admittedly, though, my backup GPS is not a 296, it's just a low-cost
Magellan with all the fixes as POIs - certainly enough to get by in an
emergency in combination with my ICOM A23. I also carry an extra set of
AA batteries in the flight bag...

For my backup's backup I installed PocketFMS on my PDA that is always
in my pocket and I keep a little CF GPS unit in my flight bag for it. I
travel down into Mexico a lot where there isn't much ATC or VORs. A
lose of my GPS would leave me with just my Loran (which doesn't have
good coverage in lower Baja). So I have my PDA. Even in a super
emergency I could use it to navigate over an airport or spiral down
through a layer just off shore.
The best part is that once I land I switch to MS Streets and Trips my
PDA because a street navigator.
-Robert

Ooooh.. That's a VERY cool idea now that I got a Treo! I might have to look
into that... Certainly worth lightening my flight bag...