Old April 26th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

Default Variations in soft field landings

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Sylvain wrote:

Newps wrote:

The POH is not the place to go to attain max performance for something
like a soft or short field landing.

I would still prefer what the POH says to any amount of advice heard
during
hangar flying and/or read on internet. Moreover if an instructor says
something that contradicts the POH and/or the Airplane Flying Handbook,
that instructor would have to come up with a really good explanation if
s/he wants to see me as a customer again.

You need an instructor that plays in the dirt alot. I'm not an instructor
but I will outperform any of your typical college flyboy instructors for
short field landings. That's what I'm good at, but don't ask me to help
you fly a turn around a point. The POH is general info, you want to do it
at a higher level of performance you find the people who do it all the
time. Some of them may even be instructors, like the people in McCall,
ID.

Actually I agree with both of you, and no, that instructor with never see me
again for a number of reasons. I just don't know where it got his info and
thought maybe there was so new thinking on the subject. It's been 35 years
since I got my PPL, so I try to keep my eyes open.