Old January 4th 11, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cernauta

Default FLARM firmware release schedule

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:07:13 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

Is there some path by which PowerFLARM will be updated independently
of the main FLARM firmware update schedule?

Andy

Let me explain what happened during the past experience:

Flarm was released with firmware 1.0
Some modifications have been implemented in following 1.x versions.

firmware 2.0 and, later, the current v3.0 identify two different
communication protocols, each time making the older version outdated
and, by all means, non functional as a traffic awareness device.
Development went on, with the related 3.x versions.

So, v4.0 will mark, "most probably" I may add just to be prepared to
possible corrections, a new firmware which will not be compatible with
older 1, 2 & 3 versions. All units will have to be updated, otherwise
you will not be able to "see or be seen" in Flarms terms.

Then, 4.x versions will probably follow.

The updating up to "x" versions is not compulsory, while the shift to
the v.4 will be necessary and "compulsory" (if you wish your Flarm to
be worth more than just good a source of GPS data and, in Europe at
least, a warning against collision with known existing obstacles in
the ground like powerlines, antennas etc.)

aldo cernezzi