Old September 6th 05, 12:59 AM
2cernauta2

Don Johnstone wrote:

It should also be noted that this switch off only effects
the USA. The rest of the world could, if we felt the
need to use ELTs, continue with the old frequencies.
That's progress?

As I understand it, the old frequencies will still be listened to, in
the search of an aircraft that is known to be missing and equipped.
The difference from the current period is that an old ELT will NOT
trigger an SAR alarm by itself. Somehow the SAR services will first
have to be alerted by someone reporting a missing plane.

A friend of mine has already owned a 406MHz ELT since 2000. He's now
facing the programmed Li-ion battery renewal. He's going to spend over
400 USD (certification of the battery, and of the workshop, plus
shipping). DIY and cheaper spares not available.

Aldo Cernezzi