Old September 8th 05, 04:06 AM
Eric Greenwell

Don Johnstone wrote:

It should also be noted that this switch off only effects
the USA. The rest of the world could, if we felt the
need to use ELTs, continue with the old frequencies.
That's progress?

My understanding is the 121.5 mhz ELT monitoring change was
international. Are you saying the rest of the world will be using
something besides the Cospas-Sarsat satellites to monitor ELT's?

This is part of what was posted previously:

Reasons for the Cospas-Sarsat program to discontinue use are driven by
guidance from the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and the
International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)

These sound like international organizations, not USA agencies.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA