Old August 10th 09, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default LS-6 and rudder size

On Aug 10, 8:53*am, "
wrote:
On Aug 10, 7:17*am, Brad wrote:

I've been looking at the LS-6 gliders lately and noticed that on the
LS-6C the rudder looks almost twice as big at the root chord than on
the LS-6A. Is this an optical illusion, or is it real?

I am guessing that since the later version of the LS-6 had tip
extensions, the rudder was resized to allow for that.

Would love to hear from any LS-6 drivers of the "smaller" rudder
versions how the bird handles, especially regarding rudder inputs.

Regards,
Brad

I've been flying my 15M LS6-b for 9 years (about 1200 hours?): *Flies
great, rudder is sized just big enough to allow full aileron and full
rudder to initiate coordinated roll, and is not oversensitive in
highspeed cruise or thermalling. *Hardly notice the pedals, actually -
the glider has surprisingly little adverse yaw for having full span
flaperons!

Kirk
66

thanks for the report Kirk!