Old August 9th 18, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Forum for new Glider Pilots

This forum is SUPPOSED to be about that, but degenerates into back-biting all to often. I recommend starting by reading some good reference books. For starters, you can get the FAA's handbook for free at:
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...h-8083-13a.pdf
Then, I recommend reading Reichman's books:
https://www.amazon.com/Flying-Sailpl.../dp/B0006E1VSK
https://www.amazon.com/Cross-country.../dp/B0006CU278
These books are out of print, but used copies are available.
I don't know where you are located, but I strongly recommend that you find an experienced glider pilot mentor with whom you can discuss specific topics in detail. Unfortunately, forums are not very good at this, and can actually be counter-productive. Send me a private email with your phone and I am happy to discuss this further off-line.

Tom