Old April 15th 20, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Video on contest safety

On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 8:40:04 AM UTC-4, RR wrote:
John, do you have a proposed hard deck rule? The mention in the video was brief, and there seem to be a number of posable issues. The first seems to be, it does not seem to reduce the temptation for a low save, but does seem to reduce the "glide stretch" as the scoring point goes back to the hard deck only in the case of a landout. So if you pull off a 300ft save, no effect of the hard deck. While I like the idea of removing incentives for unsafe behavior, a hard deck seem to be fraught with difficulties.

There's a 285 post thread from early 2018 on just this subject. A few of the difficulties are discussed :-). Happy reading. I predict that by the end of it you'll be (regardless of your initial preferences) almost as grumpy as a pure glider guy that can't buy a tow. Almost.

T8

T8