Old November 3rd 03, 11:23 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 11/3/03 2:17 PM, in article , "John
Carrier" wrote:

Two axis VGI, TACAN and ADF, cockpit lighting by afterthought, single
engine, "interesting" dirty flying qualities. A night in the life I'm glad
is far behind me.

OBTW, T-45 GINA (integrated GPS/INS) has no SINS cable. Uses GPS in the
ship alignment mode and must calculate ship's movement null factor (whatever
the hell that is). From power-up: Full alignment on concrete = 3 minutes.
Full alignment in flight = 6-7 minutes. Full alignment on flight deck =
16-24 minutes. Go figure.

R / John

John,

Hornet EGI (Embedded GPS/INS) produces fairly similar numbers--slightly
longer for the concrete alignment (5-6 mins for the full 0.5 OK). Using the
GPS to generate POS/AINS (aided nav) is at the pilot's option.

GPS IFA's in flight take about 6-8 minutes. CV on-deck alignments are about
12-15 or so depending. Although on my last cruise I found myself
occasionally wrestling the jet through 3 alignments before getting the third
one to take (about a 25 minute evolution) with the Boss querying me for a
status as I took the third one.

--Woody