Old February 4th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Default GPS instead of turn and bank

Recently, Danny Deger posted:

I am thinking about buying a 1946 Taylorcraft that has NO gyros at
all on the panel. I really want at least a turn and bank so I want
die if I loose reference to the horizon for any reason. I have been
told that the heading information from a GPS is good enough to do the
function of a turn and bank and allow emergency operations without
having a visual horizon reference. Is this correct?

Aviation-oriented GPS units with moving map displays often have an HSI
mode, so you may be able to eventually detect turn, but not bank. I would
think it unwise to rely on that for orientation.

Neil