Old April 24th 16, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N97MT

Default Flight review required?

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 9:26:42 AM UTC-5, Terry Pitts wrote:
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 10:18:45 AM UTC-4, N97MT wrote:

But I would assume than a Proficiency Check instructor would be more amenable to acting as PIC.

I can ask the one super knowledgeable Light Sport school guy I'm acquainted with, but I'd "assume" that the proficiency checking instructor must be PIC because 1) he/she's NOT a DPE and 2) the applicant is not yet rated in the new aircraft.

OK, so what that implies is that a Proficiency Check instructor is NOT an Examiner. However, if he is not an Examiner, then the Proficiency Check does not count as a Flight Review as is discussed in 61.56(d)(1). In such case, the newly-rated Sport glider pilot will have to do a Flight Review following the Proficiency Check, if he has not already done so within 24 months before flying as PIC in his other rating(s).

Of course, he just added the Sport glider rating privilege, so he can now legally do the Flight Review in the glider. After THAT he can go and fly solo, get currency to fly with 1 passenger, etc.

Nuts.