Old November 12th 04, 12:58 AM
Vaughn

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Tim Mara wrote:
The Nonin
units like Tim sells are not approved for medical use, which is why it
doesn't require a prescription.

But it is apparently the same unit that they DO sell for medical use, the
only difference being the label and the intended use. I have seen the aviation
and medical versions of the Nonin instrument side-by-side and they look and
operate exactly the same.

We purchased our Nonin Flitestat (AKA Onyx) primarily for non-aviation use,
and find it to be an amazing device. I have only tried it in the cockpit once,
but was disappointed in the difficulty/impossibility of reading the LED display
in bright sunlight. Are you old enough to remember LED wris****ches? Same
deal. The same unit with an LCD display would be much better for soaring use.

Vaughn