Old May 27th 20, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_11_]

Default DG-303 spar issues - puchase?

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 7:26:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Paul,
I had my gear lock bracket lengthened an inch so that the gear handle does not give a false lock in front of the bracket and not behind it as happened in my case when my gear collapsed after I lowered the gear with a false lock. The previous pilot installed the stronger spring installed on the gear handle so it won't pop out on bumpy landing.
I don't think they made it specific differentiation in the TN so I assumed in my favor with a healthy margin of safety that simple aerobatics fall under the utility category and not the aerobatic category as stated in the flight manual. Spins, Inside loop, stall turn, Chandelle, and lazy eight are all considered simple aerobatics flown under the utility category. All of these are low G maneuvers anyway which fall well with in it's capacity of a 303 with a healthy margin of safety even if it had the spar cap problem which most don't even have. I was always too heavy to fly the technical Acro category anyway but all the things I like to do anyway are labeled under utility anyway so I never really cared. My personal feeling is that in the end its mostly a paperwork check the box in the EU to be letter of the law +7G with 1.5 safety margin specs from what I have read. The worst defective spar cap still had a 1.4 safety margin on the +7g rating. Most gliders are rated at +5g's. It broke at over +9g's when they tested it. The FAA never cared and we never got an AD in the USA from it as no plane ever suffered a failure in over 20 years. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks John for the answer.

paul