Old September 20th 04, 10:31 PM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:05:08 +1000, "Mike P."
wrote:

I may have misunderstood - correct me if I'm wrong - but are you saying the
escort aircraft would allow (or escort) the Soviet aircraft close to the
aircraft carrier so it could take pictures rather than escorting it away
from any ships? If so, why?

How could they possibly prevent this? It's international waters in
peacetime. The Soviet aircraft has just as much right to be there as
the carrier does.

The only way to positively stop an aircraft from going somewhere is to
shoot it down, which is generally a Bad Idea in peacetime.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,