Old March 16th 04, 04:37 AM
Kirk Stant

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message ...

All I can say is try it. If it doesn't do anything for you, rip 'em off.
It's a pretty cheap experiment.

Bill Daniels

A few years ago I tried the same thing on an LS4. It worked, but was
so sensitive to yaw that the readings were not very useful.

I still wish I could have an audio AOA tone with the gear down (and
matched to the flap setting) that would indicate whether I was fast,
on-speed, slow, or REALLY SLOW (just like the good old F-4). Just
having a stall indication is unfortunately only giving the pilot some
of the information he really needs. And having an accurate audio tone
would allow the pilot to keep a lot more attention outside the cockpit
during the landing pattern (which is kinda nice).

It's really AOA that we fly when slow anyway, using airspeed as an
approximation...

Nice thing about AOA instead of airspeed is that it automatically
compensates for weight, so landing back immediatly after takeoff full
of water (rope break, aborted winch launch) would be a lot safer.

With the gear up, no audio but the AOA for min sink (regardless of
ballast and bank angle and adjusted for flap position), L/D max, and
best acceleration/min drag (when pushing out of a thermal) could be
shown with individual LEDs or a simple edge indicator, to give the
pilot an idea how he is optimizing his flying.

How about it, some smart person? I guarantee, once you fly AOA, you'll
never go back to chasing the ASI!

Kirk