Old October 18th 03, 02:41 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Big John wrote:

My wife always took one of those 'motion sickness' pills before we
flew in GA birds and she never had any problems even on hot days in
rough air. She also takes one now when we fly commercial. Preventative
maintenance.

Elisabeth usually does this. Since I told her the forecast included moderate
turbulence below 8,000', and she knows what that is, I assumed that she took
her usual dose. I was wrong. Add that to my pre-pre-pre-flight checklist -
"Make sure E. took her pill".

I always climbed to 6-8K (above the rough air and where it was cool)
if I could, with the wife with me, just to not push the envelope G

That's what I do on long trips where feasible. The Hudson corridor, however,
has a cap of 1,100', which is the floor of the NY class-B. Once past that, we
were dealing with a cloud deck at an estimated 4,000'. Also keep in mind that
the purpose of the trip was to view the leaves, which view is less dramatic
at 6 grand than otherwise.

Keep the cockpit as cool as you can. May even have to wear sweaters,
etc., but cool air helps with the motion sickness problem.

Did that. I'd bet that it was a big help at first.

If your wife continues to get sick, it's going to put a big crimp in
your GA flying (with her) so do everything you can to keep her from
getting air sick (including not flying with her on 'bad' days).

Yep, it does that a bit, but we've been flying together about 9 years now. These
days, however, we have to plan flights ahead ('cause of our schedules) and take
our chances with the weather. Just *have* to remember the Dramamine.

George Patterson
To a pilot, altitude is like money - it is possible that having too much
could prove embarassing, but having too little is always fatal.