Old June 18th 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Immediate Action Items Checklist

On Jun 17, 10:39*pm, "Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:

Not sure who I am replying to so bear with me? The most dangerous
emergency is with an engine problem down below 1000' agl (I refer to
that as the "Red Zone" and below 500' agl as the DARK RED Zone.
Certainly a competent pilot should have the immediate action items
memorized as there is little time to go digging out/reading a
checklist at low altitude with an emergency.

I have a one page laminated document front and back taken directly
from the POH. As you indicated anything below 1000 feet, this
document probably will be of no use, but in the document, in big read
letters are the various stages of flight. In blue in 20 point text
are the steps to be taken during an emergency including my emergency
decent, glide and landing speeds.

The document is broken out in a very simple format. Head lines in red.

During take off Ground roll (obviously not designed for pulling out
either by me or passenger - fly the plane)
After lift off (again not designed for pulling out either by me or
passenger - open doors and fly the plane)

And, I certainly am not
going to rely on a non-pilot to read the correct checklist in an
emergency?

In Flight - This is where I would ask a passenger to pull out the list
and read what is on the page so I can continue focusing on aviating.
There are only 14 items and the since I have it committed to memory,
the read back from the passenger would be only a verification that
indeed I remembered everything. After all, as indicated in my link, I
had time, just not by myself to "challenge" my memory.

My whole purpose here is to make pilots think about possibles and
variables.

Good discussion and always good reminders from threads of this nature.

I fly nearly every day and do 70-80 hours a month
instructing. Even so I see new things weekly and new things to
consider. The potentials for disaster and accidents or incidents are
high here with a high volume of traffic and a mix of civil and
military aircraft. You have to keep safety in mind but temper it with
operational exigencies and realities.

Just a measly 820+ under my belt, but I try to think like you, what
if... For IFR, I even include my engine instrumention intermittently
in my scan so that I can catch trends and report it before it becomes
an emergency, keeping that what if scenario in my mind. It only takes
an extra second for some peace of mine that things are running full
tilt.

Just like simulated vs actual IMC conditions, emergencies are the same
in my opinion, while it's nice to practice them, to experience one is
a whole different beast, since now you have the adrenaline factor that
was missing in training.