Old February 17th 10, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default DG-300 Water Ballast Bags

So I would like to start flying my DG-300 with water; but the previous
owner tells me that the bags weren't used for about the last 10
years. Rather than take a chance on them, I'd like to replace them.

My local DG dealer (whom I do appreciate) is saying its about $1000USD
per bag from the factory (I have the larger bags in my wings). I
don't have that kind of free cash, and I'm not a fan of the DG
leadership at the moment anyway.

....So I see from earlier threads that other people heartily recommend
the smiley bags, and the Eastern Sailplane website quotes a pretty
darned good price for the DG-300 (I'm assuming its for the smaller
bags, but that's OK). However, the last RAS post I can find claims
that Eastern Sailplane no longer offers them?

Can anyone confirm this? And if Eastern is out, do folks have any
recommendations? I see a few comments about "Clipper" in AU, but
that's a long way from the US and I'm not sure about ordering from a
waterbed company (not that I don't trust their product - just that its
probably something odd for them to handle and may be a complicated
order).

Any thoughts, comments, or recommendations?

Thanks!

--Noel