Old November 17th 05, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR with a VFR GPS

In article ,
Jose wrote:

I am talking about relying on a VFR GPS. You are talking about "using"
it, like using a tuna fish sandwich.

Start a new thread. This discussion is about the use of a handheld GPS for
IFR enroute navigation in US controlled airspace.

You sure you weren't a lawyer in a previous life?

Careful, you're approaching idiocy.

It was necessary.

No, we've been talking about use of handheld GPS for IFR enroute navigation
in US controlled airspace.
[...] I never suggested relying exclusively on VFR GPS

Ok. We are (and always have been) in agreement.

Oh, Jose, you're giving up too easily!

One of the (many) risks of UAHGPSFIFRENIUSCAS (you figure it out) is
that a pilot might become complacent about using his primary navaids,
particularly off-airways since the constant VOR twiddling required for
off-airway navigation is such a pain in the ass and the use of the GPS
is so effortless and (almost invariably) reliable.

Yes, complacency is a form of incompetence. But that does make it any
less of a risk. Pilot complacency, in all its many manifestations, is a
widely recognized risk. Furthermore (and this is the important part)
this particular form of complacency CANNOT MANIFEST ITSELF EXCEPT WHEN A
HANDHELD GPS IS IN USE. That makes it reasonable to assign at least
part of the causality to the use of the GPS.

rg