Old June 21st 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

Default The EAA should allow us to use our folding bikes at Airventure

"Sliker" wrote in message
The trams are not usually available when you want one, and are a waste
of time waiting for them. I grab one when I see one going in the right
direction, but it's not that often. Or they are full. I'd put a motor
on my bike, so I could get around. And the flight line isn't that
packed with pedestrians, there's more than enough room for a folding
bike. Now I can see why the rules never get changed, as soon as it's
tried, everyone defends anything Poberenzy and crowd want to issue as
law. I've been to a lot of local fly-ins that don't have so many rules
and guess what? it's not a problem with a bike. It's actually been
done succesfully! without incident. Can you imagine? Probably hard for
the dot every i, cross every t, follow every rule to the letter crowd.
Like sheep. I wonder how with attitudes like that, we ever get new
homebuilt designs built.

We get new homebuilt designs when someone steps up to the plate and creates
one. The EAA isn't involved, an individual or group of individuals handle
it. Since you raised the subject, how many aircraft have you designed
and/or built?

Going back to the bike issue, as an airplane owner, I don't want anyone from
an airshow crowd riding a bike near my airplane. First, how do we determine
who is gonna be careful and who is gonna run into my airplane? Alternately,
how do we keep someone on a bike from speeding into a spinning prop? Bikes
near a busy flightline are a bad idea.

On the other hand, if you're a pilot or careful person with a bike on a ramp
with low activity, that isn't a problem, but that doesn't exactly describe
Oshkosh, does it?

KB