Old January 4th 05, 04:34 AM
Matt Barrow

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

Consider the following FARs,
ยง 91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G
airspace.
b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without
an operating control tower in Class G airspace-
(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to
the left ....

This is one of those perennial questions. If you take the regulation at
face value, it is nonsensical. I think the only way to have it make
sense is to interpret "approaching to land" as "already in the pattern".
Of course you're going to make a right turn onto downwind in a left
pattern if you're approaching on the 45.

I think all they're really trying to say is "If there's no published
pattern direction for the airport, use left traffic. If there is, do
what's published."

Of course there's always the 45-degree zealots
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182100-1.html

--
Matt