Old January 4th 05, 02:05 PM
William W. Plummer

Roy Smith wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

Thanks, Roy
As I've just posted to Bob, if "approaching to land" means "already in
the pattern", then I could do a 90 degree right turn onto short final,
where left pattern is in effect.

So if a RIGHT turn is permitted by the FARs onto downwind, then so
must a RIGHT turn onto final (where left traffic in effect).

Hence the quandary

Well, like I said, you need to apply common sense. Somebody just posted
about this instrument approach:

http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...00379LDBCA.PDF

Let's say you're coming in from San Marcus. What are you supposed to do
when you reach KOAKS? You make a (gasp) right turn onto final. Surely
you're "approaching to land", since you're flying an approach procedure.
Are you going to worry that the runway may have a left traffic pattern and
therefore 91.126 won't let you make a right turn? Of course not.

You need to apply common sense. If you're going to look for
inconsistencies and stupidities in the FARs, you'll spend your whole life
getting hung up on stuff like this.

Well said, Roy. Experience brings confidence and judgment. Reliance
on rigid reading of laws is just the start.